Sunday

Nerve is needed for negative splits.



Runners track all sorts of goals. We aim for faster race times, prompter paces, and longer runs. Before long, our objectives may grow even more specific.

Personally, I am now chasing the ever-elusive negative split.

I want to finish my longer runs faster than I start them. The temptation is always to hit it hard at the start, especially in a crowded race, with tons of runners exuding all manner of energy and enthusiasm. But runners who step off that way are more likely to fizzle, as the miles pile up.

Last weekend, I ran my first 2018 half marathon. My splits were fairly consistent throughout the race, although my per-mile pace was almost a half mile slower at the end than at the start. I’d love to flip that around (or at least hold it steady).

That switch will take nerve and courage and self-discipline.

Starting slower at the outset and pushing hard at the end requires definite determination. That’s a lead-in to today’s “Running Quotes by Non-Runners” statement:


 “What would life be, if we had no courage to attempt anything?” Vincent van Gogh (1853-1890)

Dutch Post-Impressionist painter Vincent van Gogh, who lived only to the age of 37, is one of the best-known names in the world of fine art. He has been credited with more than 2,000 works of art. So, although van Gogh was never known as any sort of athlete, he certainly tried his hand at difficult endeavors and pursued perseverance, at least in the field of artistic creation.



Images:
Title image created by this user with public domain art.
Quotation Graphic created by this user with public domain photo.


Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well. And I am happy to share my RUNDERDOG ambassador code for 10% off on Bondi Band Athletic Headbands, Accessories, and Fashions. (Simply enter the code at online checkout.).

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on your running! I'm impressed. You go! It's good to have goals; hope you reach yours. Looking in for the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son just started track, and learning to pace yourself is hard! This sounds like it's the doctoral version of pace yourself. Perhaps I will introduce him to the concept just so he knows it is out there. Melanie's Stories

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...