Sunday

Marathon training: Sometimes it’s OK to be a turtle



Color me green, and call me a turtle, if you must. It wasn’t pretty, but my 20-mile marathon prep run is done.

Sometimes I’m slow … but I still go ... even when I fail to sprout wings and mostly crawl.


Kermit was right: “It isn’t easy being green.”

OK, before the “Kermit is a frog, not a turtle” comments begin piling up, let me clarify that. I get it. But he’s definitely green ... like a turtle.

I finished my 20-mile marathon training run feeling a little green too – in all sorts of ways.

  • The first hour was absolute hell. I didn’t eat any green apples beforehand, but I did experience a quick-step that had little to do with my running pace. (Let’s just say I was relieved that I picked a running route with open park facilities in operation.)
  • I was green with envy that other runners can do the whole thing in just two or three hours. (I still kind of am.)
  • I was a little green around the gills (OK, there’s another mixed metaphor. I know turtles don’t have gills. Neither do frogs, for that matter.)
  • I’m looking down the pike at my second full marathon (in three weeks), so I am still a little green at the whole marathon thing.
  • And I’m a little short on green, right about now. But that’s another matter altogether.
  • It’s almost go-time, so let’s give it the green light anyway.

Here’s the basic truth:

Yes, the 20-mile marathon training run is almost always ugly. If it was easy, everyone would do it.


Follow Runderdog on Instagram.
Sometimes it really is that simple.

On the bright side, although I am not pleased with the time it took me to complete this lengthy jaunt, I still somehow managed to finish comfortably (although not exactly comfortable) within the upcoming marathon’s specified cut-off time. So there’s that.

Let’s hope I can hop along a whole lot faster on race day.


And let the pre-marathon tapering begin!

Find this running design on caps, cups, tops, tees & more at CafePress.

Images:
(1) Adapted by this user from public domain image.
(2) Word art created by this user
Available on patches, stickers, apparel & more at CafePress.

Feel free to follow on Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well. And I am happy to share my RUNDERDOG ambassador code for 10% off on Bondi Band Athletic Headbands, Accessories, and Fashions. (Simply enter the code at online checkout.).

1 comment:

  1. Run training planner I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...