Friday

40+ miles behind schedule … but that’s OK



Sometimes it’s alright to be a little behind. Here we are, entering the second month of the year, and I am already at least 40 miles behind schedule. To meet my year-end goal of 2,019 miles in 2019, I ought to have logged more than 165 miles by now. 


But I haven’t.

Blame it on the polar vortex, which clobbered the American Midwest with remarkably low (as in way below zero) temperatures and crazy-cold wind chills. Schools closed. Banks closed. Store and businesses closed. Doctors’ offices rescheduled appointments. Hairdressers canceled. Sports teams and music instructors called things off. Mail delivery ceased.

Worst of all, the GYM CLOSED for two whole days.

And they canceled classes (including my running/speed class) almost all week.

Ugh. All but a few runners opted to stay indoors and wait the polar blast out. Some racked up miles or practiced cardio, strength, or other fitness work on their own workout equipment at home. Others cranked up YouTube workout videos to get themselves pumping.

OK, I did a little of that during the polar vortex days (and nights). But I also caught up on a lot of desk-work. I cleaned out a few closets and cupboards. And I made an entire quilt. It’s really cozy and turned out pretty nice.

But quilting and de-cluttering didn’t exactly bump up my year-to-date mileage.

So now I have some catching up to do. I’m pretty sure the miles will add up a lot faster in the warmer months, especially once half-marathon season begins. And when my full marathon training starts (later in the spring), I’ll definitely make up for lost time.

Sometimes we runners need to cut ourselves a break.

I’ll be back – even if I did eat some comfy carbs during the polar blast shut-in days.

Images:
Generated by this user with online tool

Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well. And I am happy to share my RUNDERDOG ambassador code for 10% off on Bondi Band Athletic Headbands, Accessories, and Fashions. (Simply enter the code at online checkout.).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...