Friday

Running product review - Smartwool PhD Training Beanie



Runderdog readers probably already know that I’m somewhat sold on all things Smartwool for winter. I sport Smartwool socks for most of my winter running, dogjoring/cani cross outings, and trips to the horseback riding stables. (I published a product review of my favorite style here.)

A few days ago, I picked up the Smartwool PhD Training Beanie at an REI store, but it’s also available on Amazon. I was hunting for a suitable winter running hat with the ponytail option. 


Constructed in a three-panel crown design for a snug, but stretchy fit, the moisture-wicking Smartwool PhD Training Beanie comes in one size (for women) and in black.  (Apparently, there is also a men’s version.) It’s made of a soft and smooth merino, polyester, and elastane blend.

I like the fact that this particular outdoor sports beanie features both the ponytail opening (on the back of the crown section) and two tiny side slots for sunglasses. Yes, I’m one of those runners who wears shades on overcast winter days, as well as when the sun bounces brightly off freshly fallen snow.

This little outdoor workout hat is comfortable, durable, and washable.

I won’t say that it’s flattering or that it frames the face in an attractive way. But from a practical standpoint, it’s pretty handy headgear for winter running, although it doesn’t cover my ears as much as I’d like (for the coldest winter outings). Once I put the thing on my head and pull my ponytail through the back opening, the Smartwool running beanie stays put for the duration.




This product reviewer purchased the product described and evaluated here, and the reviewer has no prior or existing relationship (either familial or professional) with the creator, manufacturer or marketer of the product.


The Smartwool PhD Training Beanie currently retails for $32, pretty much across the board. A few loser-priced, past-year, discontinued color units may be available from certain retailers (if shoppers luck out). Dropping $32 on a stretchy little cap sounds a little steep, but if this is my go-to winter running beanie, then the cost-per-wearing won't be much by the end of the season.

 

Images:
Product promo photos – fair use

Feel free to follow Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well. And I am happy to share my RUNDERDOG ambassador code for 10% off on Bondi Band Athletic Headbands, Accessories, and Fashions. (Simply enter the code at online checkout.).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...