Wednesday

The race day's approach brings weather-mania



My first full marathon is just a few days away. And I am checking and re-checking so many weather reports that I think I ought to receive continuing education credits in meteorology. The latest radar maps are leaning towards indicating a thunderstorm or two on race day – just as I line up with 40,000-plus runners in start corrals for the thing.



OK, I’m not exactly a fair-weather runner.

I’ve logged long runs in the rain, dodging puddles and cringing at sudden thunder booms. I’ve run mile after mile in sweltering summer heat. I have raced in sub-zero winter conditions.

Hey, when you’re following a marathon training chart, you don’t really have much of a choice.

But for race day, I’d really love for it not to rain buckets.

I’m doing everything I can to be ready. I plan to be as right as rain (not under the weather) when it’s time to line up for the big race. I’m gonna pour on all I’ve got, throwing caution to the wind and not saving anything for a rainy day. I’ve trained hard for months, so I don’t think I’m just chasing rainbows. I don’t have my head in the clouds.

Still, a torrential race-day storm would really rain on my parade.

It’s not like I can’t stand a few sprinkles. We’ll all be sweaty and grimy anyway. But no runner wants a full soaking, and wet shoes can be a real problem. 

Plus, inclement weather sort of puts a damper on the spectator scene. And they can be a whirlwind of fun in a race like this. 

When it comes to a big-city marathon, there are no rain checks.

But come rain or shine, I’ll be on cloud nine, if I can finish the course within the goal time I have set for myself. How fast will I actually be? I haven’t the foggiest idea. I know I won’t be lightning fast, break any big records or qualify for Boston, but no one’s gonna steal my thunder anyway.

Images:
Adapted from public domain image

Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well. And I am happy to share my RUNDERDOG ambassador code for 10% off on Bondi Band Athletic Headbands, Accessories, and Fashions. (Simply enter the code at online checkout.).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...