Monday

Running product review: SPIbelt Personal Item Belt



The SPIbelt appears to be a handy solution for toting a smart phone, a driver’s license, a credit card, car keys, gel snacks, or a small stash of cash on the run.

Plenty of running enthusiasts laud this little belt, which has enjoyed airtime TV talk shows and running programs. This trim-sized pack won’t hold a larger pair of sunglasses, or a regular wallet. Still, it can accommodate smaller stuff.



This lightweight elastic web belt boasts a super-stretchy zippered pouch that expands to fit an iPhone, iPod, or similarly sized device. The adjustable waistband is easy to operate, as is the sturdy plastic buckle.

Hand-washable, the SPIbelt is made primarily of elastic and spandex. It weighs less than a pound empty. It comes in lots of colors, including black, blue, olive green, pink, red, turquoise, or even with polka dots.
NOTE: Written by this author, this copyrighted material originally appeared on another publisher’s site. That site no longer exists. This author holds all rights to this content. No republication is allowed without permission.

Here’s a bonus. Many runners pin their race numbers to their SPIbelts, instead of poking holes in their favorite race shirts.


But there are a few reasons I’ve found why the SPIbelt isn’t so swift.

The SPIbelt isn’t waterproof, so items carried inside it may become damp, if the runner sweats more than a little.

Also, the zipper tends to catch, if it’s not aligned just right, or if a zippered baggie is placed inside (to keep items dry).

Once fully loaded, the SPIbelt doesn’t stay put during a run. It jostles and wiggles and bobs and slips and shifts and thumps with every step. The Texas-made belt is advertised as non-bouncing, but I beg to differ. I half-expected to find an iPhone-sized bruise on my hip after running a recent 5K.

This product reviewer purchased the product described and evaluated here, and the reviewer has no prior or existing relationship (either familial or professional) with the creator, manufacturer or marketer of the product.

Also, the SPIbelt inches its way upwards, if it’s not placed exactly at the waistline, which isn’t all that comfortable with most running attire. And it tends to flip over, while the wearer is in motion.

Personally, I’ll use my SPIbelt for bike and horseback rides. It’s great for gardening and yardwork too, if I don’t happen to be wearing pants with pockets. I may also wear it to keep valuables secure while traveling. I’ll wear it for shorter races, when I don’t want to strap on my Camelbak or my waist pack. But I’m not using it again for daily running or long hauls. I have enough bouncing of my own, without having to endure a pounding phone on my midsection.


Image:
Adapted from production promo image /
Fair use

Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...