Sunday

Race aid stations - What are they serving this time?



Runners, repeat after me: I will not eat or drink anything on-course that I have not already tested in training.

We get it. We know it. But we do it anyway.

And we are often very sorry we took the risk.

I’ve done it. I’ve grabbed goos and gels halfway through half marathons and regretted it. I’ve gulped electrolyte drinks without trying them ahead of time. And I’ve repented, while panting and clutching my gut in the final miles. 


Not gonna fall for it this time.

An upcoming half marathon race has announced that their on-course aid stations will be offering a new hydration drink, which is billed as carb-free, gluten-free, GMO-free, keto-friendly, paleo-friendly, sugar-free, and vegan. It's probably ideal for lots of runners. 

But I’m not buying it (or even grabbing a free cup mid-race). I looked up the ingredients, and the extremely popular sugar substitute this product contains does unpleasant things to me, even when I’m not running my heart out.

So you can bet your bottom dollar I’ll be sporting a bottle of my own favorite electrolyte beverage for that event. And I’ll be reaching out to the water stop volunteers who are handing out actual water.

Better safe than sorry? Got that right!

Like other big races, I’m guessing this event will feature beverage give-aways in the finish chute. If a race volunteer hands me a bottle of this stuff, I’ll smile and thank him or her. Then I’ll find someone to give it to afterwards – someone who can drink it without fear of later mishaps and regrets.

Images:
Created by this user with online generator

Feel free to follow on Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...