Wednesday

Activity trackers -- You're never fully dressed without a dial



“Hey, running pals. Wait for me! I’ve gotta charge my tracker again.”

Are you with me? How many times have you mustered the wherewithal to step out for a run (especially a longer run), only to glimpse at your Fitbit, Garmin, Apple Watch, or other activity tracker (or even smart phone app) and groan? Then, of course, you have to stop and plug the thing in, so it won’t quit along the way.


After all, do miles really count, if they aren’t counted?

Sure, they do. But somehow the trip seems different to us, if it’s not recorded electronically.

Runners find it rewarding to reach our daily distance goals. We love the startling buzz (or pulse or beep), when an activity tracker alerts us that today’s step count has been met.

We’ve all known the disappointment of having a device run out of juice during a record run or a big race. So we sit in parking lots with our car engines running, willing our gadgets to charge faster. We duck back indoors and plug our wristbands in to top off their batteries. We close out inactive apps to keep our phones from running down too fast while we run.

And there’s that dreaded day when a runner discovers mid-run that he or she has slipped out without strapping on that wristband. It’s a scary naked feeling, to be sure.

Remember the scene from Annie, when the kids sang “You’re Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile”? Take a look and a listen:


Runners have a slightly different version. We feel less-than-completely-clothed when we skip our trackers.

We're never fully dressed without a dial.

Last week, I joined my chorus onstage for a performance. The costuming required me to leave my Garmin behind until we returned to the backstage area. It was almost creepy. All I had on my left wrist was a slight tan-line.

I’m not falling for that trap today. I just have to rev the thing up before I slip it on again.

“I’ll be along in a few minutes. I’m up to 60% already. C’mon, tracker. Charge up!”

Images:
Adapted by this user from public domain artwork


Feel free to follow on Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well. And I am happy to share my RUNDERDOG ambassador code for 10% off on Bondi Band Athletic Headbands, Accessories, and Fashions. (Simply enter the code at online checkout.).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...