Tuesday

Let’s get personal: Chafing hurts!



Cha-cha-cha-fing! Aye, there’s the rub.

I completed a military-themed running race (measuring 10 nautical miles / 11.44 regular miles) a couple of days ago, and my upper arms look like they’ve been sandpapered.

It’s not that I didn’t prepare for the thing.

I wore the same singlet and compression shorts that I have worn for umpteen summer races and runs. The same goes for my tried-and-true sports bra. I put on the same athletic socks and running shoes I’ve worn plenty of times. And I smeared on some Body Glide Anti-Chafe Balm before leaving home for the race. But clearly I didn’t use enough. Maybe there is no “enough,” when the humidity reaches such an unpleasant level. 



I should have bathed myself in Body Glide – at least, my upper arms.

This was unusual weather, even for the dog days of summer.

Apparently, there was a solar storm the previous night, with the heavenlies putting on an amazing show of the Northern Lights. Viewers in states like Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Montana, and Wisconsin posted stunning photos on social media.

Personally, I gaped out of my car windows at 4:30 am, as I departed for the race site. The full moon was striking, surrounded by a blurred aura. Fog enveloped much of my trip. As the sun began to rise (around 6 am), it burned off most of the fog, leaving a humid haze over the area.

I didn’t hear this till after the race was over, but the mercury topped 90 degrees (F) while we were out there. Several runners had to be picked up and loaded into Gators or other vehicles mid-course. A few took ambulance rides. Many stopped by at the finish-line medical tent.

Rough day all around.

I’ll just be over here, putting antibacterial analgesic cream on my abraded arms and pounding as many fluids as my body can take.

Images:
Personal copyrighted photo

Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well. And I am happy to share my RUNDERDOG ambassador code for 10% off on Bondi Band Athletic Headbands, Accessories, and Fashions. (Simply enter the code at online checkout.).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...