Tuesday

Marathon training: Ignoring the naysayers is a challenge



Maybe I mentioned I am running my first full marathon a month before a major milestone birthday – and that I have multiple sclerosis. Why would I possibly attempt such an endeavor? I’m doing it for a wonderful charitable cause. And this 26.2-mile undertaking represents a personal form of dragon-slaying for me.

I’m not gonna be fast.

I don’t even care much about that. I’m hoping to finish within the allotted time window for the event, so I won’t get picked up along the course in the truck when it’s time for the city streets to open.

This journey is taking a lot out of me.

I’m logging tons of miles, planning and preparing for the big day. I’m chugging up and down hills, clocking country miles, and battling hot and humid summer weather. (Heat brings extra agony to anyone with multiple sclerosis. When the temperature goes up, our symptoms intensify exponentially. This medically documented phenomenon is known as Uhthoff’s Syndrome.)

And I’m fielding lots of crazy comments from non-runners.

Lots of well-meaning folks have tossed out generically encouraging statements. “You’ll do it,” they might say. More than a few have recounted tales of wonder or woe about friends of friends who have done marathons. (Humorously, plenty of non-running people have told stories about 5K and 10K races, but called them “marathons.” I get it. They just don’t know.)

I appreciate the upbeat comments and cheery narratives. I genuinely do. It’s the naysayers that are a little hard to take, especially those who know nearly nothing about running.



What sorts of things do naysayers say, when a runner says she (or he) is training for a full marathon?

Here are a few comments I have personally heard most frequently from non-runners.

  • “You can’t do it.”
  • “Why would you wanna do that?”
  • “I saw you WALKING!”
  • “It’s too far.”
  • “Are you nuts?”
  • “You’ll get hurt.”
  • “You’re too _____.” (Fill in the blank with “old,” “young,” “short,” “tall,”  “frail,” “sick,” “small,” “big,” etc.)

Make it stop!

I’m training – some days harder than others. I’m gearing up and ramping up and steeling my nerves to prepare for the race.

In these final weeks before the marathon, my training calendar regularly includes double-digit-mile days. I'm trying to fit cross-training activities (like biking and horseback riding) into my schedule. Frankly, I just don’t have the mental or physical energy to answer, elaborate, or explain in response to these outbursts. Signing up for my first full marathon did not include signing on to defend my position or educate onlookers about the process or my own physical condition.

And I’m not running this race for the naysayers. I have a host of other reasons, which are primarily personal.

The countdown to race day is underway. Let’s do this thing.
Images:
Graphic created by this user
with public domain artwork

Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well. And I am happy to share my RUNDERDOG ambassador code for 10% off on Bondi Band Athletic Headbands, Accessories, and Fashions. (Simply enter the code at online checkout.).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...