Saturday

Bring on that winter running!




OK, I may want to retract that statement in a month or so. It almost sounds like I’m daring Mother Nature and Old Man Winter to bring on their worst.

But that’s not the point.

Things just got real around here, as far as winter running is concerned. I went and signed up for a winter race series. (It’s the same one I did last year, but we had an exceptionally mild winter, so that was a lot of fun.)

This particular winter race series has six events, and each date offers a 5K and 10K option. Winter wuss that I am, I registered for the 5Ks because … well … who would want to spend any extra time in a wintry gale? Last year, I averaged about 10 minutes per mile for this hilly, frosty set of races. So that’s about a half an hour on-course. That’s enough for me, if blustery winds and sideways-flying sloppy snow come around on race days.

(Yes, it was really COLD out there that day.)


Why would I subject myself to a winter race series?

It’s far too easy for me to shrug off daily (or nearly daily) training between Thanksgiving and Easter. Sure, I can dash off to the gym and pound out a few miles on the indoor track, the treadmill, or the elliptical. But, if a winter race is on my calendar, with the date approaching fast, I simply have to get out and stomp out some miles under the winter sky.

So I’m in.

And here’s a bonus, especially for a runner who loves her race bling. This winter race series gives out age-group medals to 10th place. In my age group, that means medaling is much more likely than in the younger groups. Last year, I brought home a medal in every race. (Sure, some of mine are for 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th. There are some real rockets in my bracket. So those are still rewarding.)

Bring on those winter races. I’m ready to bundle up and take off. Who’s in?



Images:
Race photographer image.
Used by permission.


Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well.

Title graphic generated by  LAN/Runderdog
All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...