Monday

Peroneal Tendonitis is stretching my vocabulary by a foot



I’m always game to learn fancy new words, as a writer. However, as a runner, I’m not so keen on picking up medical vocabulary first-hand – or foot, or ankle, or whatever.

Not my feet. But you get the idea.


Enter Peroneal Tendonitis.

This involves swelling of the peroneal tendon. That’s the tendon that runs along the outside of the lower leg and around the bony part of the outer ankle (known as the lateral malleolus). The peroneal tendon helps to stabilize the ankle during weight-bearing activities, such as running.

This painful condition can be caused by overuse, running on uneven surfaces, running on banked roads, exercising in worn-out shoes, lower limb imbalances, improper physical rehabilitation from an ankle injury, or a few other issues.

Apparently, runners with high-arched feet are particularly prone to peroneal tendonitis. It seems to have something to do with extra eversion of the foot while running.

Color me guilty on three counts.

I have extremely high arches in my feet. I’ve been running on trails, sharply banked roads, and a recently graded (but still bumpy) closed construction zone portion of a county highway. And I’m logging more miles than usual (for me), aiming my sights at completing the 2,017-mile challenge in 2017.

Again, not my feet. This would be PAINFUL right now.


Boom. And ouch.

Yes, my ankle is sore, along with the outside of that foot. It hurts extra when I turn that foot in or out, or if I try to point it down (like a ballerina, which I am most certainly not). And the injury reminds me of its existence several times overnight.

Not even close.


So now I am elevating and icing my wrapped ankle. I’m looking for creative ways to keep on completing running miles (without pounding the pavement or traipsing through trails).  I’m hobbling around like a pathetic fairy tale creature.



Pretty sure the elliptical is gonna be my new best friend for a while.

Oh, and my horse. Riding is supposed to be OK, once I can flex that ankle enough for the stirrup. Still, I have to be able to navigate rutty farm paths to fetch her from turnout without dipping that ankle or plunging into deep, soggy spring mud. But I’m hopeful. The ground is drying up, so I may have a chance, once the ankle swelling subsides a bit.

Images:
Adapted from public domain artwork.


Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...