Tuesday

Marathons take dedication. My 1st one had 26.2.



Marathon running may seem like a solo endeavor. Even in elbow-jostling crowds, runners somehow manage to crawl into our own mental spaces for long stretches. Then we snap back into the moment to share grins, groans, high fives, and maybe a “Howdy” to another runner or someone in the crowd.

But some of us are fortunate enough to have a great cloud of witnesses (to use a biblical allusion) that cheer us on from near and far.

Maybe that’s why plenty of marathoners dedicate the miles of certain races to their special supporters.

Before I stomped and stretched with 44,571 to-be finishers (and I don’t know how many other entrants) in the start corrals for the massive mob scene of the 41st Chicago Marathon, which was to be my first-ever 26.2-mile race, I decided to follow this treasured tradition. I drew up this list of mile-by-mile dedications. Then I printed out the names and carried the roster with me for the whole thing.



So here it is. My list of mile-by-mile tributes and thank-you’s for my first full marathon. The order is somewhat random, but not completely so.

  1. Jesus – Abundant thanks for giving me the wherewithal, especially after I suffered life-threatening injuries seven years ago in an equestrian accident. Every step I take is a gift from God.
  2. Christy – Sweet girl, this one’s for you! You are a real champion with the “Joy, Joy, Joy.”
  3. Sarah Joy – I adore you, and I am constantly in awe of your determination to follow your own path. I admire the way you are raising another woman’s son with love and care and consistency.
  4. Meghan – Where do I start? You have gone from equestrian trainer to marathon cheerleader. Plus, you talked me off the ledge more than a few times. It’s wonderful to see you in your element now, although we sure miss you in the Midwest.
  5. Jeff – I’m not sure I could have lined up for this endeavor without your encouragement and long-distance coaching. You set the bar high, ROCK-star brother.
  6. Dad – You really are the hoss. (OK, I had to look that one up. But it’s true.) The finest man I’ve ever known, you're still picking up hiking sticks to pound out miles in your nineties. I’m incredibly proud to be your daughter.
  7. Bible Study Sisters – You keep it real, as we live and learn together. Besides, nothing is really funny until someone snorts. So many years of love and support! Blessings upon you: Alice, Angela, Carol, Dawn, Hanna, Irm, Jackie, Laurie, Mary, Mary Kay, Paula, Roxanne, and now Bernice.
  8. Dave – Your positive attitude and personal pep talks kept me going through some tough training seasons. Love you, little brother.
  9. Chorus Ladies – What a gift each of you is to me: Barb, Bev, Diane, Jennifer, Joey, June, Kathi, Kim, Lori, Mare, Nancie, Nancy, Pat, Rhonda, Roz, Sue, Susan, and Tracy. Our gatherings are the highlight of my week. Thanks for putting up with my running counts. “Bless your hearts.”
  10. Nancy / POG – You were a great sounding-board, early on, as I pondered this marathon journey. Thanks for letting me brainstorm fundraising ideas aloud with you, as we walked those New Hampshire trails. You plug into others’ interests deftly, and I appreciate you.
  11. College Pals – Your support is sweet. Overhearing Beth and Kath (as in: reading them online), as they crowed about my marathon attempt, boosted me to no end. And Judy Dee, thanks for your affirming messages.
  12. Mary Anne – You’re one of my favorite prayer warriors. And you have a special knack for finding the right Scriptures or gifts (or both) to encourage in due season. So glad we are sisters-in-law and also friends.
  13. Michele – I loved our beach-walking conversations this summer. You are a gift.
  14. Team RWB – What an honor it is to run with these fine folks. Special kudos to our super band of Lady Eagles and the Trail Tuesday crew. Dedicating Mile #14, because the Chicago Chapter committed to be there to fly the Eagle high and cheer us on. Plus, sharing the Old Glory Relay (on the morning after the marathon) is a highlight of this year!
  15. Judith – My lifelong friend, I am glad we have reconnected after too many years. I’ve loved our calls and messages and look forward to many more. I hope we can plan a visit in-person before long.
  16. Mike – Thanks for the spiritual (and sometimes sarcastic, because you know it's OK to be both) nudges, along the way. And that song! It really is all about putting one foot in front of the other.
  17. Beth – Thanks for your solid support, sweet sister in law, as well as your very timely upbeat note. It arrived right when I needed it.
  18. Horse-lover Posse – You know who you are. Thanks for tolerating my runner rants and mileage totals. Special thanks to Nancy, Joaquin, and Lisa for keeping up with Cali Mare while I’m off running (and recovering). Please tell my girl I’ll be back soon. And Bill, my favorite ogre, I’ve gotta salute you (up on your high fence) for posting so many energizing comments during my long training months.
  19. Mark – You’ve been on-board with the plan from the start. You rock. (Thanks for picking up the pieces afterwards with Jude.)
  20. Silver Sneakers Ladies – I love our track time visits and workout classes. We may not have “Strong Abs” yet, but we’re working it. So glad to count you as gym buddies: Barb, Cami, Cathi, Georgia, Eunice, Laurie, Mary & Mary, Michelle, Pat, Sandy, Sue, and so many others.
  21. Nick – You are the kindest person I have ever known. I love the way you treat all people with respect, no matter who they are or what they stand for. I am blessed to call you my big brother and ally.
  22. Crosby and Brooke – You two are the finest (and furriest) running buddies a girl could ask for. Thanks for keeping me accountable by kicking it into high gear every time I stepped into my sneakers. (And thanks to Cali for the cross-training, especially those gentle bareback trotting loops for stirrups-free calf stretches.)
  23. Mom-in-Law – You’re so faithful in praying for each of us and checking in. Thanks for your notes and the prayer medal, which went with me for the race. I appreciate you.
  24. Rachel Hope – Thank you for showing up in so many ways. You are precious to me. You’ve seen me in my most tired and desperate moments and given me a lift.
  25. Judy – You inspire me and so many with the way you crusade for Christy and so many others at Misericordia. Plus, you’re the best sister ever.
  26. Mom – You’re the best champion I have ever had, even as you are facing advancing cancer. I could not fathom getting to the finish line without your unending support. Knowing you were cheering me all the way sustained me, especially in the roughest spots.
The final stretch to 26.2 is for Joe. You’ll never tell me, but I am fairly certain you are proud of me for doing this thing. You said, “If you can’t qualify for Boston, it’s not worth running a marathon.”  I’m tagging you with the last 0.2 miles, because that’s the toughest part. Plus it's the finish line, where you should have been, but you refused to attend the race. (I beg to differ about Boston, but thanks for the 26.2 roses!)

I have to salute the many donors, who contributed to the charity I represented. These generous people included family, friends, colleagues, and even people I've never met. And I still need to wave to some key people (such as our little local running group of badasses, who rise before the sun to accomplish crazy fitness feats) and my long-time chum Lib (a gutsy breast cancer survivor, who is starting to run now too!). 

Please chalk up any oversights to exhausted runner brain fog, and know I appreciate your support. 

And I am not dedicating a mile to multiple sclerosis, even though the dreaded MS MonSter kicked me into gear in middle age. But I’m kicking MS to the curb. My story isn’t over, and MS does not get to write my final chapter. Who’s with me?

Images:
Personal copyrighted photo.

Feel free to follow Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well. And I am happy to share my RUNDERDOG ambassador code for 10% off on Bondi Band Athletic Headbands, Accessories, and Fashions. (Simply enter the code at online checkout.).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...