Friday

Thought today's running was done, until new shoes arrived.



Brand-new running shoes carry a sweet sort of magic, especially when they actually fit and feel good. When a runner picks up a new pair of spiffy kicks, it’s hard to resist lacing them on immediately and hitting the road or trail or track to try them out.



Taper days, be darned. New kicks trump training rules.

It’s like a universal truth of running.

This just happened.

First, I’m pretty much a Brooks devotee, at least lately. I’ve worn out six pairs of Glycerins in the past couple of years. I know what works for me. I’ve been able to snatch a new pair from the store shelf and pretty much head directly for the checkout. I’ve ordered them online.

Till they changed the shoe design. The new ones don’t quite fit the same way.

Uh-oh. Don’t you hate when that happens?

Why do running shoe companies have to monkey with stuff that works so well?

Anyway, I tried on a different style, and I’m pretty sure they’re going to fit the bill nicely. What’s more, that bill was a bit less, especially after I did a little online price comparing. So I ordered a Brooks Launch pair (another neutral shoe designed for medium to high arches). And I eagerly awaited the package’s arrival.

According to online tracking, I had a couple more days to wait.

I went for a run. Following my marathon training schedule, I logged today’s mileage goal. I returned home to shower, eat, and get back to work (not necessarily in that order).

And the doorbell rang.

The mail lady handed me a shoebox-sized parcel. Yup, it was my new sneakers. They came two days early!

How could I possibly sit at my desk, when new kicks begged for a jaunt?

I gave in to temptation and went for a three-mile romp in the shiny new running shoes.

How did the Brooks Launch measure up against my favorite old Brooks Glycerins?

Honestly, the jury is still out on that. Three miles is not enough for a solid review. (Check back in a week or so.)

My initial impression is that the Brooks Launch is comfy and springy. It seems to have an appropriate mix of support and flexibility for my running style. OK, my toes fell asleep after about a mile and a half. (That often happens when I try new shoes, though. It’s probably MS-related.) The biggest drawback at this point is the way-too-short shoelaces. I’ll replace those before my next run in the new pair, so I can loosen the toe box area.

So much for tapering for this weekend’s half marathon. (That’s OK.)

Images:
Public domain photo

Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well. And I am happy to share my RUNDERDOG ambassador code for 10% off on Bondi Band Athletic Headbands, Accessories, and Fashions. (Simply enter the code at online checkout.).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...